Hurricane Irene – 2nd Anniversary

It is hard to believe, but today is the second anniversary of Hurricane Irene making landfall in North Carolina.  This storm blasted many of the long-held thoughts about Category 1 storms and coastal flooding.  Irene was different.  As a damage assessment volunteer, I observed first-hand and heard stories from residents about flooding in areas “that had never flooded.”  Many trees, structures, and utilities that had survived recent significant storms such as Bertha, Fran, and Floyd, and older structures that had survived many storms of the twentieth century were flooded and significantly damaged.  Irene left a wake of damage in North Carolina from which residents are still recovering.

 

 

Share

2013-08-21 Tideland News Article

Please pick up Wednesday’s edition of the Tideland News for an article by Brad Rich about Elmer.  Brad knew Elmer from his work on Sugarloaf Island in Morehead City.  Brad did a great job of taking my ramblings on the phone and turning them into a wonderful article about my dad.

My apologies to all Stewards who were not mentioned.  As you might imagine, my dad did so much and met so many wonderful people, I couldn’t list everyone who has contributed to his efforts from memory.  Even so, Brad had to pare down the number of people I mentioned to make the article fit the space allotted.  That said,  I know most Stewards are like my dad.  They don’t necessarily seek recognition.  They just want the world to be a better place and each in his or her own way is working to do just that.  Thanks!

Share

2013-08-17 Tribute Paddle Trip, White Oak River

Thanks to all who showed up on a forecast  rainy Saturday for the Tribute Paddle for Elmer Eddy!  The trip was arranged by Joanne Somerday and the TRPC.   We had a great turn-out and a great time!   Special thanks to Mike Banks of  the White Oak River Campground who has always let Stewards launch for free because of our clean-up efforts.

At the campground, we shared personal recollections of Elmer and trips with Elmer.  John, Jack, Sam, and Nick Eddy shared experiences growing up with Elmer.  Then it was on to the water!

The weather forecast was 90% chance of rain.  How fitting it was that we chose to go forward with the trip, just as Elmer would have done!  “Ninety percent chance?  That means there’s a 10% chance it won’t rain, so let’s go!”  Elmer might have reasoned.  Yes, it did rain, but not significantly until everyone neared Haywood Landing.  The rain did little to dampen the tribute paddle.

As the main group made their way downriver, John, Sam, and Nick Eddy made their way upriver by jon boat.  Everyone arrived at Dixon Field almost at the same time.  We lunched and visited more there, then some of the group departed.  The sky was looking ominous.

On the entire trip from the White Oak River Campground to Haywood Landing, very little trash was found.  Most of the trash was found from the campground to the access at Dixon Field.  The White Oak River largely remains clean from Dixon Field to Haywood Landing!

Thanks again to all who attended and sent photos.  I will update this post or make a new one with photos soon. –John

Share

2013-08-17 White Oak Paddle [TRPC] Tribute to Elmer Eddy

Hi there everyone.
As you may or may not know, our dear friend and Steward of the Rivers, Elmer Eddy, passed away at the age of 94. In honor of his devotion to the rivers, and particularly the White Oak, Scott Brown and I are planning a paddle down the White Oak River from the White Oak Campground on Route 17 below Maysville, to Haywood Landing, which is about 10 miles, with an option to take out at 4.6 miles, at Dixon Field. You are free to join us.  We plan to do the paddle on August 17, at 9 am with a rain date on August 18.  Please RSVP me at yadremos@suddenlink.net if you plan to attend or if you need directions.  Or you can just show up. You will need a PFD, water, and a lunch if you prefer. We can have lunch at Haywood landing, or Dixon Field, depending on the time. It is about a 5 hour paddle to Haywood Landing. I would suggest using a plastic boat in the event that the river is low as you will scrape bottom at times in the first mile or so, and preferably a plastic sea kayak if you go on to Haywood landing.  If you have never done this paddle in the past it is a beautiful river through a narrow tree covered section, five lakes, and eventually more open water as the river flows toward the ocean.  Michael, the owner of the campground has graciously agreed to waive the $2.00 launching fee for those of us making this trip. The river is clean of trash for the most part, but Elmer would be pleased if you would bring along a plastic bag to pick up any trash that you might see along the way.
If anyone is willing to help to set up shuttles, please contact me and meet me at the Hardees in Maysville at 8 am. Anyone else who would like to have breakfast before the paddle is welcome to meet there as well.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
joanne
Share